- Join Australia's number 1 University †
- Career opportunities, professional development, work-life balance.
Salary: Executive contract plus 17% superannuation
The Chancellery is led by the Vice-Chancellor and has a University-wide focus on:
- delivering strategic leadership
- allocating capital according to strategic priorities
- developing and overseeing a business framework that includes appropriate financial and other organisational planning and controls
- ensuring identity or brand is consistent with strategic intent and purpose, and
- overseeing policies and initiatives that develop the academic and professional expertise of University staff members.
The Executive Director, Major Projects is part of the Policy and Projects portfolio within the Chancellery.
About the role
The Major Projects team leads the University's strategic projects from the early idea stage through to project initiation. These are projects closely tied to University Strategy and often involving an investment of more than $50 million, significant infrastructure development (physical and virtual), partnerships, curriculum reform, organisational change and/or new operating models. After project initiation, implementation is led by the University's project delivery arm, Project Services, with Major Projects maintaining an oversight and evaluation role.
The Executive Director, Major Projects leads the prioritisation and initiation of the University's full range of major projects. This includes approximately $2 billion of infrastructure projects as well as major organisation transformation initiatives. The ED also is responsible for overseeing and reporting on progress during the delivery phase, and ensuring that learnings from post-implementation reviews are identified and disseminated.
The incumbent must retain visibility across all portfolios and the upcoming pipeline, and provide expert advice to the Vice Principal Policy and Projects and other University Executive members to ensure that projects selected for delivery support the Growing Esteem priorities, and provide effective leadership within the team to support effective work practices and staff development.
This exciting full-time role is available for five years.
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline or an equivalent mix of education and significant relevant experience
- Extensive experience in strategic leadership, conceptualising and developing strategic business cases for complex, large-scale programs of work
- Significant experience in the leadership and development of projects requiring or leading to significant organisational transformation
- Significant experience in major construction and/or IT related projects
- Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into tangible ideas and projects, including leading the planning, options development, feasibility assessment and business case development activity of projects with significant strategy, infrastructure and operational elements.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the interface between complex and significant projects
- High level business acumen including the ability to develop project procurement strategies, including philanthropy, government funding, and industry partnerships.
- Demonstrated expertise in building and maintaining relationships with a wide range of senior stakeholders in a large and complex organisation and ability to operate in a highly complex matric management structure
- Excellent communication skills including writing and presentation skills for a variety of internal and external audiences, and in particular the ability to synthesise complex situations and make meaningful recommendations to senior executive audiences
- Knowledge and understanding of the University's strategy and operational context, particularly as it relates to major projects (desirable)
† The University of Melbourne is the Number 1 University in Australia and among the leading Universities in the world, according to The Times Higher Education world reputational ranking, the National Taiwan University ranking, The Times Higher Education world university ranking and Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Close date: 28 Feb 2017
0042736_Executive Director Major Projects.pdf
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time