- Join Australia's number 1 University †
- Career opportunities, professional development, work-life balance.
- Use your expertise and innovative thinking to truly have an impact.
Who says you can't change the world? We expect to do nothing less.
Academic Services, University Services
Salary: $88,171 - $95,444 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
About University Services
University Services comprises of 1,600 professional staff focused on providing client centric and innovative services to the University. The group is providing transformational change, defining and influencing future service enhancements within the University of Melbourne. The Team Leader, Student Equity is a member of the Course Planning and Equity Team which sits within the Student Administration portfolio.
About the role
The Team Leader, Student Equity, provides leadership, motivation, coaching and support for a small team of Student Equity Advisors who administer special consideration and work with students who require adjustments or other arrangements to enable them to engage in their academic experience equitably. These services are delivered in a student-centric environment and in the context that all students are expected to be independent and active participants in their studies at University.
Reporting to the Coordinator, Student Equity, the Team Leader leads a small team of Student Equity Advisors, and ensures the consistent application of policy and guidelines, and manages complex cases. The Team Leader oversees a regular schedule of quality assurance and individual coaching catch ups with staff to review performance, assist them to achieve goals, and ensure a consistent, high-quality service is provided to students requiring special consideration and adjustments. The Team Leader also ensures the team maintains strong and positive stakeholder relationships with Academic Divisions and other services, and that information about special consideration and student equity is current and accurate.
- Completion of an undergraduate qualification in a relevant discipline, and/or equivalent mix of education and relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in leading, coaching and developing a team of staff in a dynamic service environment, to ensure goals are achieved
- Demonstrated ability to interact sensitively and empathetically with students experiencing a wide range of challenges, stress and anxiety in relation to their studies, and experience in working closely with equity cohorts
- Highly effective communication, customer service and interpersonal skills, with the ability to create, maintain and enhance relationships with staff and other stakeholders through constructive and collaborative interaction in order to achieve successful outcomes
- Demonstrated strengths in problem-solving and critical thinking, coupled with sound judgement and ability to understand policy
- Proven ability to thrive in a changing and fast paced environment
- Maximise your benefits through our Salary Packaging scheme
- Flexible family friendly policies, providing generous leave and working conditions
- The opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
- A substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at the University of Melbourne
To find out more, go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/working/benefits
The University is a vibrant campus. We have well established clubs and networks giving the opportunity to engage and collaborate with other staff around the University. We strive to create an environment where staff and students promote culturally inclusive behaviour and activities, ensure cultural differences are heard and explored, and actively seek to learn from other cultures.
† The University of Melbourne is the Number 1 University in Australia and among the leading Universities in the world, according to The Times Higher Education world reputational ranking, the National Taiwan University ranking, The Times Higher Education world university ranking and Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Close date: 27 Jul 2017
Position Description & Selection Criteria
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria/competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/search/info/selection-criteria
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time