- Join Australia's number 1 University †
- Career opportunities, professional development, work-life balance.
- Use your expertise and innovative thinking to truly have an impact.
Who says you can’t change the world? We expect to do nothing less.
Research, Innovation and Commercialisation - University Services
Salary: $79,910 - $86,499 plus 17% superannuation
About University Services
University Services is the shared services function for the University of Melbourne. We are dedicated to operating with a clear, responsive, respectful, user-friendly approach and this will create a problem-solving culture that empowers people to deliver their best. This component of the Melbourne Operating Model is the largest administrative unit within the University and is committed to:
- Putting the university first, by acting in the best interest of students, academics and overall strategy
- Maintaining a culture of service excellence
- Working together as one team to achieve results through collaboration, respect and expertise.
Research, Innovation and Commercialisation (RIC) is the central facilitator of research funding in the University, taking advantage of the full diversity of research funding opportunities.
About the role
The Major Initiatives Officer coordinates and delivers strategic and administrative support services to the Major Initiatives business, supporting grant applications up to submission and also post-award, and a focus on the University’s institutional research centres and strategic research infrastructure. The incumbent will be expected to work independently to complete tasks and will require initiative to solve problems. As required, the position will support the Major Initiatives team in stewarding a broad range of strategically important grant and tender applications to submission. The position will also work with Chancellery and the Major Initiatives team in identifying and contributing to improved policies and processes for institutional research centres and research infrastructure as required.
To be successful in this role you will be passionate about delivering high quality strategic and administrative outcomes and continuous improvement in a diverse and complex environment. Your strong customer centric focus will ensure you build strong working relationships across RIC, University Services and Academic Divisions.
- Post-graduate qualifications in a relevant discipline and/or equivalent mix of education and relevant experience
- Experience in providing successful service-orientated research administration and support, demonstrating initiative, sound judgement, personal drive, organisation and planning skills, attention to detail and a commitment to continuous improvement
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, including a demonstrated capacity to liaise and develop effective relationships with a broad range of academic and professional staff and work co-operatively in a team environment
- Demonstrated experience using a range of different computer systems and ability to quickly learn new computer applications
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a small professional team committed to delivering quality service to internal and external clients
- Proven ability to thrive in a changing and fast-paced environment
- Maximise your benefits through our Salary Packaging scheme
- Flexible family friendly policies, providing generous leave and working conditions
- The opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
- A substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at the University of Melbourne
To find out more, go to https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits
The University is a vibrant campus; whether it's lunchtime music events or free public lectures, there is always something to attract your interest. We have well established clubs and networks giving the opportunity to engage and collaborate with other staff around the University. We strive to create an environment where staff and students promote culturally inclusive behaviour and activities, ensure cultural differences are heard and explored, and actively seek to learn from other cultures.
† The University of Melbourne is the Number 1 University in Australia and among the leading Universities in the world, according to The Times Higher Education world reputational ranking, the National Taiwan University ranking, The Times Higher Education world university ranking and Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Close date: 25 Feb 2018
Position Description & Selection Criteria
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time