- Join Australia's number 1 University †
- Career opportunities, professional development, work-life balance.
- Use your expertise and innovative thinking to truly have an impact.
Who says you can't change the world? We expect to do nothing less.
Salary: $88,171 - $95,444 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
About University Services
University Services comprises of 1,600 professional staff focused on providing client centric and innovative services to the University. The group is providing transformational change, defining and influencing future service enhancements within the University of Melbourne. The Continuous Improvement Officer is a member of the Continuous Improvement Team which sits within the Service Improvement portfolio.
About the role
In collaboration with team members within Service Improvement, the Continuous Improvement Officer will support Chancellery, University Services and Academic Divisions in the successful delivery and implementation of Lean Six Sigma solutions as part of a continuous improvement program.
To be an active advocate of continuous improvement throughout the University, delivering process excellence through the lean methodology and building capability to ensure sustainable change.
Key Dimensions and Responsibilities:
- Under broad direction from the Continuous Improvement Manager, facilitate the Continuous Improvement transformation event for Chancellery, University Services and Academic Divisions.
- Facilitate value stream map creation during transformation events and coach and drive LASS principles and methodologies for waste removal.
- In liaison with the project team, develop, and prepare the Service Improvement infrastructure (project buzz board, portfolio buzz boards, problem solving templates and others).
- Facilitate engaging training, education and coaching of University staff on Lean concepts, tools and methods.
- Lead various Service Improvement projects within a transformation event, to support portfolio objectives and performance metrics.
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving ability to assist with continuous improvement initiatives for project leaders.
- Provide expert advice to assist with facilitating project gateway/showcase reviews for the stakeholders.
- In collaboration with and direction from the Continuous Improvement Manager, conduct a sustainability review at 30 days/60 days/90 days for each completed transformation event.
- Actively contribute to the long-term capability build of continuous improvement concepts within the University to respond to client needs toward a mature shared services provider and promote the Service Improvement Strategy across the University.
The appointee will have:
- A relevant postgraduate qualification with significant relevant experience or an equivalent combination of relevant significant experience and/or education and training.
- A minimum qualification in LEAN Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
Knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrate the University Services Values of University First by acting in the best interest of your employer; displaying Service Excellence by striving to deliver beyond expectations and taking ownership of the delivery; and value working collaboratively as One Team, connecting with people and building relationships in your workplace.
- Significant experience in process improvement and problem solving in a large and complex organisation with a proven ability to deliver complex user specifications and/or detailed business requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate, persuade, negotiate and develop strong working relationships with senior stakeholders across the University and University Services.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills; with the ability to translate and provide clarity between business and technology teams.
- Ability to lead and mentor project teams to develop a continuous improvement culture.
- Proficiency in planning workshops and excellent facilitation skills to ensure the participation of all stakeholders.
- Maximise your benefits through our Salary Packaging scheme
- Flexible family friendly policies, providing generous leave and working conditions
- The opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
- A substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at the University of Melbourne
To find out more, go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/working/benefits
The University is a vibrant campus. We have well established clubs and networks giving the opportunity to engage and collaborate with other staff around the University. We strive to create an environment where staff and students promote culturally inclusive behaviour and activities, ensure cultural differences are heard and explored, and actively seek to learn from other cultures.
† The University of Melbourne is the Number 1 University in Australia and among the leading Universities in the world, according to The Times Higher Education world reputational ranking, the National Taiwan University ranking, The Times Higher Education world university ranking and Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Close date: 25 Feb 2018
Position Description & Selection Criteria
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria/competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/search/info/selection-criteria
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time