School of Computing and Information Systems
Melbourne School of Engineering
Salary: $69,148 - $93,830 p.a. plus 9.5% superannuation
About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to respond to the major social, economic and environmental challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
MSE is entering an exciting juncture as we work towards transforming engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future — the people and things that will drive innovation and productivity to make a sustainable impact on the world in which we live. MSE continues to attract the best staff and students with a global reputation and has a commitment to knowledge for the betterment of society. It’s an incredibly exciting time to be joining MSE.
About the School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS)
CIS are international research leaders and are focused on delivering impact in three key areas: data and knowledge, platforms and systems, and people and organisations. In this discipline, the School was ranked number 1 in Australia and 14th in the world in the 2018 QS World University Ranking exercise.
We are currently working on an Australian research council funded project for “Continuous intent tracking for virtual assistance using big contextual data”.
As the Research Fellow you will work as a Researcher to develop algorithms for virtual assistants and task oriented chatbots (falling in the broader filed of AI and big data analytics). You will be innovating and delivering the most advanced techniques to impact the world using your skills in data mining and machine learning. We are interested in speaking to highly motivated candidates to help prepare and publish research outcomes in conferences and journals in top venues.
What you’ll need:
• A PhD in Computer Science (or close to PhD graduation), or closely related discipline.
• A record of quality research as evidenced by a good number of publications in leading venues such as SIGKDD, NIPS, ICML, WWW, IJCAI, ACL, SIGMOD, AAAI, VLDB, ICDE, WSDM, ICDM, etc; Capability for innovative research, as evidenced by scholarly publication.
• Excellent teamwork skills; Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders (academic, administrative and support staff) in a courteous and effective manner.
• Ability to perform independent research; Experience in using initiative, working with minimal supervision and ability to prioritise tasks to achieve project objectives within timelines.
• Ability to overcome challenges and difficulties; ability to achieve goals despite difficulties.
• Demonstrated capacity to communicate research concepts to technical and non-technical audiences; Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums and through manuscript submissions.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to leap into a career like no other, we’re ready to open our doors to you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application form and upload your Cover Letter and Resume.
With your application, we ask that you please address the selection criteria. Please try to keep your responses short and succinct.
While we take a look at your application, get to know us more and find out what it’s like working at MSE by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse
The University of Melbourne and MSE is strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Applications for part-time or other flexible working arrangements will be welcomed and will be fully considered subject to meeting the inherent requirements of the position.
Close date: 7 Oct 2018
Position Description and Selection Criteria (please note this document was revised on 10 Sept 2018)
0045185_REVISED_10 Sept 2018.pdf
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to: https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time