About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
About the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering (CBE)
The school integrates the expertise and capabilities of the Chemical and the Biomedical Engineering Departments. The resulting mix of skills creates new horizons for engineering and enables the realisation of transformative new ideas into practical innovations.
The sweep of technological applications is vast, and we are focused on end-use inspired research.
Our goal is to facilitate knowledge acquisition, research excellence, and its translation into technological, societal, industrial and medical innovation.
About this Opportunity:
Sitting within the Biomedical Engineering Department of CBE, you will play a key role in the delivery of our ARC Discovery project. The project is to bring together multiple imaging technologies to build a robust in vivo imaging framework for time-lapsed tracking of musculoskeletal tissues to detect structural and functional changes in osteoarthritis-related joint disorders.
You will be performing small animal in vivo animal experiments with micro-computed tomography and molecular imaging, as well as improve imaging protocols analysis techniques for extracting meaningful quantitative metrics.
You will conduct independent research, leading to the preparation and publication of research outcomes in conferences and journals. You will also liaise with collaborating partners and be involved in supervision of students working on related projects.
In this position you will be an active member of CBE collaborating with other researchers and key partners critical for the success of this project. You may also undertake teaching and research supervision directly related to your area of research, when it is required.
To successfully secure this role you will be able to demonstrate:
- PhD in a discipline relevant to biomedical science or engineering
- A demonstrated track record of both independent and team-based research
- Experience in the use of micro-computed tomography for musculoskeletal imaging
- Willingness and demonstrated ability to conduct in vivo animal experiments
- An aptitude for laboratory-based experimental work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums and through manuscript submissions.
- Experience in working with minimal supervision, and ability to prioritise tasks to achieve project objectives within timelines.
- Experience in biological assays (desirable; not essential)
- Experience in the preparing ethics grant applications (desirable; not essential)
- Experience in the supervision or co-supervision and mentoring of honours, Masters or and PhD students (desirable; not essential)
Please refer to the attached Position Description for a more detailed outline of this position.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
The University is committed to and seeks to increase the diversity of the workforce and the representation of women in areas where they have been traditionally under-represented.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Cover Letter and Resume.
We ask that you address the first four selection criteria outlined in the Position description in your cover letter (max 2 pages).
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting