Salary: $102,967 - $122,268 p.a. (Level B) or $126,128 - $145,431 p.a. (Level C)
About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
About the School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS)
We are international research leaders with a focus on delivering impact and making a real difference in three key areas:
- data and knowledge
- platforms and systems
- people and organisations
We are ranked number 1 in Australia and 32nd in the world in the 2019 QS World University Ranking exercise.
At the School of Computing and Information Systems, you'll find smart people, big problems, and plenty of opportunities to make a real difference in the world!
You will Join our successful HCI team in the School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS) and be working with world-leading researchers on a range of exciting areas. These include:
- design of interactive systems
- mobile and ubiquitous computing
- social computing
- natural user interfaces
- digital health
- design for the ageing population
- physiological sensing
- human-centered AI
- information retrieval
- and mixed reality
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work with state-of-the art facilities, including an industry-grade usability lab with multiple observation rooms and audiovisual capture.
You will also have access to a recently renovated lab that allows for the design and development of device prototypes, full-body motion capture, 360 immersive video projection, and eye tracking (both desktop and mobile).
The labs will be integrated into a purpose-built facility to be hosted in the Melbourne Connect precinct in our Parkville Campus, due to open in late 2020.
In addition, there is opportunity to collaborate with several exciting initiatives. These include a new NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence on Digital Interactive Technologies for Chronic Health Conditions, an ARC Training Centre in Cognitive Computing for Medical Technologies, and ARC projects in Human-Centered AI as well as Smartphone use.
You will contribute to our extensive teaching program, including an HCI-focused stream of the Masters of Information Technology. You will also have an opportunity to be part of a broader initiative to enhance the Engineering Design expertise in the Melbourne School of Engineering.
You will also make a significant contribution to the teaching and administration of the school. We welcome applications from researchers interested in interdisciplinary research. Active collaboration with other research groups at the University of Melbourne is encouraged, as is interaction with industry and government agencies.
You will be an aspiring leader in HCI, with ambition to publish in high quality journals and conferences, mentor research students, and secure independent grant funding to support a program of research in collaboration with the HCI team.
At the level of Lecturer, you will be capable of demonstrating:
- a PhD in either Computer Science and Engineering, Information Systems, Human-Computer Interaction (or equivalent), preferably with a focus on one or more of these priority areas: digital design and fabrication, mobile/wearable/tangible computing, augmented/virtual/mixed reality, computational interaction
- a relevant research track record evidenced by publications on human-computer interaction in top-ranked journals, and conferences
- proven potential to achieve the highest levels of scholarship
- capacity to teach effectively across a range of technical subjects, including the capacity to develop and deliver seminars and lectures and contribute to other teaching activities.
- ability to interact with University staff at all levels and to build networks with industry and other researchers, both local and international.
- ability to work as part of a team and build rapport with all levels of staff within a diverse work environment.
- capability for collaboration and interaction with industry.
- experience in obtaining competitive research funding, either individually or as part of a team
- a willingness and ability to supervise graduate research students.
For more experienced candidates, please refer to the attached PD for the additional selection criteria.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you as well as extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we’ll support you in doing what you love!
How to Apply
Apply online attaching:
- A single document, including your resume and a cover letter outlining your motivation and reasons for applying
The University of Melbourne and MSE are strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Applications for part-time or other flexible working arrangements will be welcomed and will be fully considered subject to meeting the inherent requirements of the position.
This is a re-advertised position. Previous applicants need not re-apply.