- Lead innovation in our professional services team supporting academic and graduate researcher excellence
- Drive MSE research and research training services toward even greater cross-functional collaboration
- Lead a large team of research management experts who are already outstanding at what they do!
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 internationally (THE Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
The Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE) is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
MSE is committed to delivering a future-focused research and research training support function. We are backing this vision by establishing this new leadership role driving:
- research collaboration
- process improvement and service quality
In this newly created role you will be the senior professional staff member in MSE supporting the Deputy Dean (Research), the Associate Dean (Research), the Associate Dean (Research Training), and the Executive Director in achieving our MSE 2025 ambitions for research growth and development and the expansion of the graduate researcher cohort.
You will be a key member of the MSE Research and Research Training Committee, and manage secretariat support for this committee, while also representing MSE on a range of University-level research management forums and committees.
In this role you will lead two specialist teams:
- Research Development – research grants development and a range of other research management functions.
- Graduate Research Training – PhD candidature management and a range of other graduate research support functions.
In partnership with the Managers of these teams you will drive a strong performance and development culture.
You will work in a cross-functional manner for effective collaboration with other business units in MSE and across the University, and contribute as a member of the School’s senior professional leadership team.
You will be capable of demonstrating a track record of achievement in the following:
- postgraduate qualifications in Engineering, IT and/or Science with management experience in a research-intensive environment
- people leadership experience, including ability to lead and manage individuals and groups in a supportive and collegial manner
- high-level strategic planning and problem-solving with capacity to design and deliver operational strategies
- expertise in quality assurance standards and processes and their application throughout the research and research training domains
- excellent customer relationship, communication and interpersonal skills
- demonstrated experience in working successfully at the interface, and as an intermediary, between academia and external stakeholders, including government, funding bodies, industry, and the broader community
- highly organised, with a strong work ethic, commitment to continuous improvement, openness to new ideas and creative approaches to problem solving within established timelines
- demonstrated experience managing issues and communications with tact, discretion and clarity by using high-level analytical skills
- extensive experience working as part of a leadership team and providing support and guidance to manage critical and competing priorities in a highly dynamic and flexible environment
In the initial Application you will be asked to attach the following documents to this application:
- Your curriculum vitae (including your publications listing)
- Cover Letter addressing the reason why you find this role appealing.
For shortlisted candidates we will be asking you to complete a short video interview (max 15 mins) addressing your experience in relation to some of the key areas of responsibility in this role.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you as well as extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we’ll support you in doing what you love!
Relocation support will also be offered to eligible candidates.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply
For more information, please contact David Pleydell at SHK on +61 3 8620 8020 or send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting reference 6686. Direct and third-party applications will be forwarded to SHK.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse