Job no: 0051884
Work type: Continuing
Division/Faculty: Chief Operating Officer Portfolio
Department/School: Operational Performance Group
Salary: $108,009 - $116,906 (UOM 8)
Role & Superannuation rate: Professional - Full time - 17% super
About Operational Performance Group
The Operational Performance Group delivers functions that facilitate the design, evaluation, and improvement of services across the University, and business partnering services to Chancellery.
About the role
As Senior UX Designer, you will lead and inspire the practice of Human-centred Design mindset and methods in projects and initiatives within the Digital Design & Service Experience (DDSE) team, for designing and improving the overall and most especially the digital experiences of and services to students, staff and academics. You will support the Manager Digital Design in the growing the University’s practice of User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) design.
You will have a true passion for humans with an ability to engage and advocate across a range of stakeholders in University. Further, your high level analytical and problem-solving skills allow you to work collaboratively with digital platform owners, developers and to align to technology strategic roadmaps.
You will further have:
- Tertiary qualifications which may be in one of the following fields of study – Design Thinking, UX/UI Design, Human Computer Interaction Design, Social Sciences, Marketing, Anthropology, Psychology, Systems Thinking (desirable but not essential)
- Practical experience and broad knowledge of all aspects of the practice of UX Design (3+ years) from framing and researching user problems and ideating through to creating sketches, concepting interfaces and creating prototypes.
- Experience and knowledge of Human Centred Design principles and methods, agile collaboration tools, and process improvement methodologies and how to best apply within a complex environment
- A demonstrated ability to – frame a user problem, propose a variety of problem-solving approaches, design discovery research using a wide variety of tools (not just interviews), synthesise quantitative and qualitative data to create insight (making the complex simple), run ideation session to create concepts, prototype, test and iterate those concepts in the context of the University’s feasibility and viability, and work with others to deliver measurable solutions.
- Experience in designing voice or chat interfaces and experiences, frontend/backend developer experience including coding, interaction design experience, visual design skills, content management, copy-writing
- Maximise your benefits through our Salary Packaging scheme
- Flexible family friendly policies, providing generous leave and working conditions
- The opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
- A substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at the University of Melbourne
To find out more, go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits
The University is a vibrant campus. We have well-established clubs and networks giving the opportunity to engage and collaborate with other staff around the University. We strive to create an environment where staff and students promote culturally inclusive behaviour and activities, ensure cultural differences are heard and explored, and actively seek to learn from other cultures.
How to apply
Your application submitted should include a cover letter (one page) outlining your motivation to apply for this role and describing what skills and experience you will bring to it. Please further attach a current version of your CV.
Please note that you are not expected to provide detailed responses against the selection criteria in the Position Description.