The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, we are globally engaged; comprehensive; research-intensive; and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) is strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Improving the representation of women is necessary in our goal to innovate and to strengthen FEIT’s reputation as a best-in-class centre of research.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) is a vibrant and rapidly growing department within MSE.
We are working on some of the most meaningful problems at the interface of engineering with life and medical sciences. The crux of this work being the application of interdisciplinary expertise and thought in order to make new discoveries and innovative solutions towards improved healthcare and social wellbeing.
About the role:
Working with the University of Melbourne and the Defence community, you will develop knowledge and technology required for rigorous development and evaluation of new novel materials and body armours. You will work with leading scientists in ballistics, materials, injury mitigation and impact engineering to conduct research with an emphasis on body armour testing protocols and the optimisation of body armour design, where your work will be used towards the development of the future solider combat ensemble.
Hard armour torso plates need to protect military combatants from both penetrating threats and from severe trauma due to behind armour backface deformation (BFD). This requires a compromise between successfully defeating the projectile and dissipating the kinetic energy from the impact point effectively through the plate in a way that prevents severe to critical injuries to major organs performing vital body functions.
In this role, you will conduct both experimental and computational work, including computational stress analysis through the development and use of complex finite element models of different body armour designs integrated with a human torso model in order to develop optimised body armour plates.
You will be conducting independent research leading to the preparation and publication of research outcomes in conferences and peer-reviewed journals.
You will also liaise with defence collaborators and partners and be involved in co-supervision of PhD students working on related projects.
Naturally you will be capable of demonstrating your prior record of achievement in the following:
- PhD or equivalent degree in mechanical engineering, biomedical engineering, or a related discipline.
- record of quality research in experimentation and finite element modelling in impact engineering and/or injury mitigation as evidenced by research publications in leading conferences and journals commensurate with opportunity
- capacity to communicate research concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- capacity to undertake computational modelling, with demonstrated experience in finite element analysis.
- excellent ability to analyse data, problem solve and maintain accurate research records.
- Capability for innovative research, as evidenced by scholarly publication
- Excellent ability to work co-operatively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and liaise with associates from both industry and academia
- Demonstrated experience in using initiative, working with minimal supervision and ability to prioritise tasks to achieve project objectives within timelines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums and through manuscript submissions
Please refer to the attached PD for additional requirements for appointment at Level B, and other favorably considered experiences.
You will be supported to pursue achievement in all four pillars of an academic career:
- Teaching and Learning
- Service and Leadership
What we offer you:
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, childcare subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development, and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a meaningful and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Cover Letter - addressing the selection criteria; and your Resume.
PLEASE NOTE: You must be an Australian Citizen and currently located within Australia and able to commence immediately or as soon as your notice period has been served.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse