Job no: 0033819
Work type: Continuing
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Department/School: School of Biomedical Sciences
Role & Superannuation rate: Professional - Full time - 17% super
Salary: An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated
This is an exceptional opportunity to develop, maintain and manage a high quality of business and operational services within the School of Biomedical Sciences (SBS).
Reporting to the Head of School with professional responsibility to the Chief Operating Officer, the School Manager is the most senior member of professional staff within the SBS and is responsible for a scope of work that includes the planning, management and delivery of the research, teaching and learning, engagement, commercialization and administrative services undertaken within SBS and its constituent Departments and Centres. The School Manager will work with the Faculty Directorate to drive effective financial management and budgeting, operational efficiency, service quality and strategic outcomes.
Additionally, you will be developing, leading and managing a team of professional staff to deliver a range of services that support and guide academic staff is a key function of the role.
You will possess;
- A relevant postgraduate qualification and proven management expertise, or an equivalent combination of extensive relevant experience and/or training in a research organisation.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic and operational plans, and to establish and implement procedures and initiatives to enable successful execution of plans. Proven ability to initiate, socialise and manage change processes successfully
- Proven and extensive experience and high-level expertise in planning and managing resources: financial, human resources, space and equipment.
- Strong capability as an ethical leader who values diversity and works effectively with individual differences
- A natural leader, who will drive staff teams and lead by example
- Experience managing a budget
- Demonstrated understanding of the higher education environment.
School of Biomedical Sciences
The School of Biomedical Sciences is one of the most prominent and diverse Schools in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences and is comprised of three Departments - Anatomy and Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology, and Microbiology and Immunology.
The School is situated on the University’s Parkville Campus and is part of the largest biomedical precinct in the southern hemisphere, providing access to world class research facilities for staff and students. The School fosters a values-based culture of innovation and creativity to achieve research and teaching excellence.
We offer a number of employee benefits to maximise your work life at University of Melbourne (UOM). Some of the benefits on offer are; a salary packaging scheme, flexible family friendly policies - providing generous leave and working conditions. An opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment with substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at UOM
To find out more, go to https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits
How to apply
Your application submitted should include a CV along with your responses against the selection criteria found in the Position Description for the role.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to: