The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world: we are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive, and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) is strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Improving the representation of women is necessary in our goal to innovate and to strengthen our reputation for research excellence.
About the role:
The FEIT Graduate Research Team manages a cohort of over 700 students in the Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Philosophy, and Study Abroad and Exchange research opportunities.
FEIT’s Graduate Research supports their graduate researchers from recruitment and admissions through to timely completions. It provides graduate researchers with targeted enrichment opportunities to support their success and completion in these programs.
The Manager, Graduate Research has responsibilities across a range of diverse and complex activities, notwithstanding the current circumstances whereby the covid pandemic is affecting travel to Australia. FEIT is undergoing a 10-year growth period including into new campuses and facilities alongside increased research activity, and we believe that Graduate Researchers are the powerhouse of our research.
In this role, you will foster and develop effective partnerships and excellent stakeholder engagement with key academic and professional staff across FEIT, as well as the wider University community.
You will attend and contribute to committees and meetings for graduate research management dealing with academic policies, processes, procedures, admissions, scholarships, courses, systems and the recruitment of graduate students in order to ensure effective compliance measures and successful graduate researcher outcomes for the Faculty.
This role reports to the Research Manager, Graduates and Industry. You will work closely with the Faculty Executive Director, Associate and Assistant Deans, Heads of Schools, Heads of Department, other managers in professional roles as well as other senior academic leaders.
This position is responsible for understanding University and Faculty policy for procedural implementation and issues resolution.
You will also be responsible for the leadership, professional development, coaching and management of a team of four staff.
Naturally you will be capable of demonstrating your prior record of achievement in the following:
- Proven management skills and demonstrated leadership with the ability to motivate and lead staff.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to foster relationships with professional and academic staff across diverse Faculty and University divisions.
- Demonstrated ability to support policies and establish and implement new, or streamline existing, procedures and initiatives to maintain a cycle of continuous improvement in graduate research from a service-oriented perspective.
- Experience in interpreting and applying complex data analysis, policies, procedures, statutes and regulations for providing a high level of advice to a diverse range of clients.
- Demonstrated capacity to exercise sound autonomous judgement and a high level of initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence and negotiate successful outcomes with a range of stakeholders.
Additionally, it would be desirable (but not necessary) if you if you also had experience in relation to:
- Graduate research within the tertiary education sector.
- Knowledge of the University's student administration systems, e.g. StudentOne, CiA
For the specific responsibilities of this role please refer to the attached Position Description.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, childcare subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development, and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a meaningful and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Resume and Cover Letter - addressing only three (3) selection criteria:
- Select two (2) Selection criteria in the attached PD that you feel are your strengths
- Select a further one (1) that you feel is your weakest; explain why and what you have done or are planning to do to further develop this capability.
PLEASE NOTE: You must be currently located within Australia and able to commence immediately or as soon as your notice period has been served.
You will be an Australian Citizen; Permanent Resident or holder of an appropriate visa.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse