Job no: 0052068
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Chief Operating Officer Portfolio
Department/School: Research, Innovation and Commercialisation
Salary: $96,002 - $103,921 (UOM 7)
Role & Superannuation rate: Professional - Full time - 17% super
In 2021 The University of Melbourne has embarked on the Professional Services Redesign (PSR) to enable services improvement and more effective ways of working. This opportunity has been newly created as part of the PSR.
About Research, Innovation and Commercialisation
RIC is a specialist team dedicated to enabling the University's research and enterprise mission working closely with our academics, professional colleagues, industry partners, funding agencies and government agencies. We have a passion to see our academics and their collaboration partners succeed, achieve research excellence and translate their discoveries into real-world innovation and impact. RIC operates University-wide across all ten Academic Divisions and Chancellery.
About the role
In this fixed-term opportunity, you will manage a portfolio of complex funding programs/streams and awards allocated to the MDHS client cluster (Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences). You will be the single point of contact for Chief Investigators for the duration of the funding programs, including supporting them in managing financial resources and navigating complex funding rules. You will manage all financial aspects of the various projects within the portfolio, including but not limited to; advice on budgeting, interim and final cost claims, expenditure reports and reporting to partners where required.
You will also work with the Research Finance Manager to implement process improvements and system changes that drive efficiency and enhanced customer service.
This opportunity is a maternity leave cover available for 14 months.
You thrive on working collaboratively and know how to use your excellent communication skills to build positive relationships with stakeholders across the organisation. Your prioritization skills allow you to successfully complete tasks to competing deadlines and your can-do attitude helps you to quickly familiarise yourself with new processes.
You will further have:
- A relevant tertiary degree in Accounting/Finance and significant on-the-job experience or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and education/training.
- Strong understanding of the rules and requirements of various funding schemes, e.g. ARC, NHMRC
- Relevant experience (2+ years) in a comparable role, giving financial advice (i.e. budgeting, interim and final cost claims, expenditure reports and reporting)
- Highly desirable: Relevant experience in managing research grants and contracts in the University sector.
- Demonstrated ability to show good judgement, initiative and undertake tasks independently, seeking advice and escalating as required.
- Commitment to the provision of quality service, with demonstrated ability to provide user friendly, responsive client service.
- Maximise your benefits through our Salary Packaging scheme
- Flexible family friendly policies, providing generous leave and working conditions
- The opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
- A substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at the University of Melbourne
To find out more, go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits
The University is a vibrant campus. We have well-established clubs and networks giving the opportunity to engage and collaborate with other staff around the University. We strive to create an environment where staff and students promote culturally inclusive behaviour and activities, ensure cultural differences are heard and explored, and actively seek to learn from other cultures.
How to apply
Your application submitted should include a cover letter (one page) outlining your motivation to apply for this role and describing what skills and experience you will bring to it. Please further attach a current version of your CV.
Please note that you are not expected to provide detailed responses against the selection criteria in the Position Description.
We're currently also recruiting a Research Finance Consultant on an ongoing basis. To find out more about this opportunity, please visit our Careers page and search for position number "0052120". When submitting an application for this maternity leave cover/fixed-term role, you will be able to indicate whether you would also like to be considered for the continuing opportunity.