- Key Leadership role – Melbourne Biomedical Precinct
- Realising a better world: now and into the future
- Expanding horizons and possibilities in medical treatments and cures
We are proud to introduce the inaugural
Shanahan Chair in Frontier Medical Solutions
About the Opportunity:
This is a newly created leadership role working across a joint appointment between the Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE) and the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (MDHS) and embedded within Australia’s first health-tech hub for research and education - The Aikenhead Centre for Medical Discovery (ACMD).
This leadership role will focus upon developing strong long-term partnerships between these and other related institutions, while driving the collaborative innovative and pioneering spirit of our best and brightest students; researchers and academics.
This appointment offers the incumbent an unprecedented opportunity and infrastructure framework to enable your international health-innovation research and collaborations towards delivery of pioneering solutions that improve lives and deliver high impact upon society.
This opportunity has been made possible by the generous gift of the Shanahan family whom share the University’s vision to support the instrumental partnerships between clinical entrepreneurs, engineers and scientists aiming to change the face of medical treatments and cures.
We are seeking a focused international leader in the field of health innovation with a dedicated interest in advancing innovation and collaboration towards impactful solutions for society.
You will be a focused international leader in the space of health technologies having previously delivered:
- leadership across the field and
- an innovative research program with positive impact directly on medical care.
Your research program will work at the intersection of science, engineering and medicine to create translational outcomes in medical solutions.
Ideally the research areas you will have a passion for and track record of achievement within, include those that intersect with the ACMD’s key strategic themes of:
- Smart devices, bionics and implantables
- Regenerative medicine
You will enage broadly within the university, across the research community and industry to build and sustain the agile relationships that are critical to outcomes. Specifically, you will take a leading role in shaping the framework for and anchoring the university’s critical partnership with the Aikenhead Centre for Medical Discovery (ACMD).
As a passionate teacher, you will share learnings and training approaches in the design and translation of medical technologies. You will inspire the next generation of research entrepreneurs!
Naturally, you will be able to demonstrate your:
- experience working at a senior leadership level with the demonstration of positive key leadership traits including commitment and passion, great communication, innovation and integrity
- outstanding track record of industry-engaged research that demonstrates research impact and translation to practice
- ability to build and maintain and foster strong professional relationships with a diverse stakeholder group including experience driving proactive engagement with benefactors
- ability to build and lead successful research teams
- excellent research publication track record in peer-reviewed international journals
- track record of success in obtaining international and national competitive research grants and programs, and industry contracts
- your established and effective teaching record guiding the development of teaching programs while proactively fostering an environment of learning
- commitment to the highest standards of scientific and ethical integrity
As a valued leader within our university you will support your team and the broader MSE and MDHS research and teaching community to both independently (and as a member of various teams) work on all four pillars of an academic career by:
- pursuing internationally leading research
- leading teaching innovation in this space
- engaging with industry; partner institutions and benefactors
- taking on a leadership role within the broader University.
How to Apply
Apply online by completing the application form. In the initial application you will be asked to attach the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter (of no more than 2 pages) addressing your motivation for applying and how you would leverage this multi-disciplinary opportunity.
Advertising and applications close Late Nov 2020
Review and longlisting of applications Dec 2020
First Round – video interviews Jan / Feb 2021
Final Interviews, Sample Lecturers & Campus visit (3-day schedule) April / May 2021
(indicative only – pending changes due to current pandemic and travel restrictions)
What We Offer You
Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we’ll support you in doing what you love!
For international candidates, relocation support will also be offered.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
Don’t wait for a better world – create it! With us! Now!
The University is committed to and seeks to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of women and all other groups where they have been traditionally under-represented.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting: