The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, we are globally engaged; comprehensive; research-intensive; and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) is strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Improving the representation of women is necessary in our goal to innovate and to strengthen FEIT’s reputation as a best-in-class centre of research.
About the role:
The Costing and Pricing Officer will work to support the training and competency of academics pricing their research in alignment with the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology’s Research and growth targets. Through this work, the Research Officer will contribute to, support and implement the FEIT2025 strategy.
Working in partnership and liaising directly with FEIT academic staff , the role will provide timely and high-quality costing and pricing services relating to research, particularly contract research, for new academics and other academics who are new to costing and pricing research or who are engaging in financially complex research projects. The position’s focus will furthermore be enhanced by supporting the Research and Research Training portfolio in FEIT; assisting the Research Services team working on large bids, large scheme rounds, and other schemes as required.
Research Services is a high functioning pre-award team focusing on providing support for academics to obtain funding through grants, contracts and tenders. In 2020 FEIT’s research income was around $58m and FEIT is currently on track to surpass this amount in 2021.The position will report to the Research Manager, Graduates and Industry.
Naturally you will be capable of demonstrating your prior record of achievement in the following:
- relevant degree with subsequent relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training
- ability to provide sound advice to staff particularly new starters, on financial research management issues, such as costing and pricing, budgets and deliverables
- excellent organisational skills with the demonstrated ability to prioritise tasks, plan and project manage activities while working well to tight deadlines
- critical eye for detail, particularly as it relates to funder rules and guidelines and other compliance measures
- working flexibly both as a productive member of a team and autonomously on tasks
- analytical approach to problem-solving
- interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with an interest in editing content, critically evaluating proposals, delivering presentations, preparing reports
- high level of self-motivation, initiative, creativity and sound judgement
Additionally, it would be desirable (but not necessary) if you if you also had experience in relation to any of the following:
- Experience with the University’s Themis system, particularly Themis Research or similar research management information systems would be highly regarded.
For specific responsibilities of this role please refer to the attached Position Description.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, childcare subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development, and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
We seek to increase the diversity of our workforce and the representation of all members of our community that have been traditionally under-represented.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a meaningful and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your:
- Cover Letter - addressing all selection criteria
PLEASE NOTE: You must be currently located within Australia and able to commence immediately or as soon as your notice period has been served.
You will be an Australian Citizen; Permanent Resident or holder of an appropriate visa.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-feit