Job no: 0054847
Role type: Full-time- Fixed-term for 12 months
Faculty: Engineering & Information Technology
Department: Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering
Salary: Level A - $80,258 - $108,906 p.a plus 17% super
- Conduct computational research to advance the understanding of wall-bounded turbulent flows over riblets and roughness, aiming for fundamental advancements with real-world applications.
- Develop independent research in the dynamic Department of Mechanical Engineering, contributing to collaborations and high-quality publications, while also having the opportunity to supervise PhD students and engage in teaching as needed.
- Salary packaging, subsidised health and wellbeing services, fitness and cultural clubs, Myki discounts, and a 25% discount on graduate courses to our staff and their immediate families!
About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity for a researcher with expertise in Computational Fluid Mechanics to conduct computational research towards advancing our physical understanding and modelling of wall-bounded turbulent flows over riblets and roughness. Reporting to Associate Professor Daniel Chung, the successful candidate will develop independent research, collaborate with a team in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, publish findings, present at conferences, and may also engage in limited teaching activities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Independently plan and carry out research on the projects and work towards successful completion of the aims of the projects;
- Develop effective timelines and milestones based on goals of the research program;
- Perform numerical simulations, data analysis and flow-physical modelling, and communicate this information to the supervisor and collaborators;
- Regularly prepare accurate and meticulous records and technical reports of all the numerical simulations, data analysis and flow-physical modelling
Who We Are Looking For
You will be possess excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to engage effectively with diverse stakeholders. Your commitment to excellence, continual improvement, curiosity, enthusiasm, dedication to the research topic, humility, and a willingness to learn will contribute to a positive and collaborative work environment.
You will also have:
- A PhD in mechanical engineering, or closely related discipline
- A track record of research quality, as evidenced by scholarly publications in leading journals and by presentations at major conferences, commensurate with opportunity;
- Experience in physical modelling and data analysis of wall-bounded turbulent flows;
- Experience in numerical simulation of wall-bounded turbulent flows on high-performance computers
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is available for this position. This role requires current valid work rights for Australia.
Your New Team – The Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Melbourne, one of the largest in Australia, offers teaching across undergraduate degrees in Science and Commerce, followed by a professional Master of Engineering. Focused on maintaining a vigorous research effort, the department addresses urgent contemporary issues in biomechanics, robotics, manufacturing, materials, fluid mechanics, and thermal sciences to contribute to the development of our industrial society.
What We Offer You!
In addition, we offer the opportunity to be part of a vibrant community and enjoy a range of benefits, including generous leave provisions, salary packaging, health and well-being services and discounts on graduate courses. For more information, check out our benefits page!
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn.
The University of Melbourne values the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and welcomes and celebrates diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, parents, carers, people of all ages, abilities and genders, and people of diverse ethnicity, nationality and faith are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. For more information please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require reasonable adjustments, please contact Kim Groizard at email@example.com, with an email containing your name and contact details for a confidential discussion. Please ensure your email is titled "Reasonable Adjustments Request".
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We aspire to be the University of choice for Indigenous Australians, with unprecedented investment to attract, nurture and retain Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff. Tangible support through a range of programs and initiatives will ensure that you personally succeed and flourish while at the University of Melbourne.
For further information, including our 2023-2027 Indigenous strategy please visit -https://about.unimelb.edu.au/reconciliation/murmuk-djerring
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with the following documents:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and experience
- The responses against the Selection Criteria^ (found in the Position Description)
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please feel free to contact Fahim Farzad via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, ensuring that you include the Position Number and the Job Title as the subject. Please do not share your application to this email address.
If you have any particular questions regarding the job please follow the details listed on the Position Description.