Job no: 0060578
Role type: Full Time; Fixed term for 12 months
Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry, and Health Sciences
School: School of Biomedical Sciences, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
Salary: UOM 5 – $79,961 - $91,844 p.a. plus 17% super
- Support a CARB-X funded project focused on developing a novel therapeutic for community-acquired bacterial pneumonia.
- An exciting opportunity to contribute to research in a collaborative environment.
- Salary packaging, subsidised health and wellbeing services, fitness and cultural clubs, Myki discounts, and a 25% discount on graduate courses to our staff and their immediate families!
About the Role
This Research Support Officer role at The University of Melbourne, under the leadership of Professor Christopher McDevitt, involves providing technical support for a CARB-X funded project focused on developing a novel therapeutic for community-acquired bacterial pneumonia. Responsibilities include conducting murine experiments, performing laboratory activities related to bacterial culture, maintaining accurate records, and ensuring compliance with ethical standards, legislation, and occupational health and safety measures.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Execute technical services directed by the program lead or supervisor, including conducting murine experiments, administering drugs, and collecting tissues for downstream analyses.
- Perform various laboratory activities related to bacterial culture and enumeration, preparation of culture media/reagents, and general laboratory maintenance.
- Maintain accurate records and provide regular reports to the supervisor(s) as required.
- Ensure all animal-related tasks are carried out ethically and comply with relevant legislation, while also adhering to Occupational Health and Safety instructions, policies, and procedures.
Who We Are Looking For
You are detail-oriented and bring technical expertise to conducting murine experiments, maintaining laboratory activities, and upholding ethical standards and compliance. You thrive in collaborative team environments and will actively contribute to a culture of innovation and excellence in research outcomes.
You will also have:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (with or without Honors), Diploma of Applied Science (Animal Technology), or equivalent education/training.
- Extensive experience in mouse handling, care, and procedures.
- Knowledge and application of animal ethics legislation and welfare requirements.
- Sound knowledge of microbiology, experience in quantitative research methods, including data collection and analysis, analytical and problem-solving skills, good organization, and time management.
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This role requires current valid work rights for Australia.
Your New Team – Department of Microbiology and Immunology
The Department of Microbiology and Immunology is at the forefront of groundbreaking research in understanding the immune system and combating infectious diseases. Our dedicated team focuses on unravelling the complexities of pathogens and infectious agents to develop innovative methods for detection, control, and treatment. We strive to manipulate the immune system, enhancing responses against disease-causing organisms and even cancer. As a part of our department, you'll be joining a community of scientific excellence and leadership, making a real impact on global health.
What We Offer You!
In addition, we offer the opportunity to be part of a vibrant community and enjoy a range of benefits, including generous leave provisions, salary packaging, health and well-being services and discounts on graduate courses. For more information, check out our benefits page!
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn.
The University of Melbourne values the unique backgrounds, experiences, and contributions that each person brings to our community and welcomes and celebrates diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, parents, carers, people of all ages, abilities and genders, and people of diverse ethnicity, nationality and faith are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. For more information, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the email address listed at the bottom of the page.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We aspire to be the University of choice for Indigenous Australians, with unprecedented investment to attract, nurture and retain Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff. Tangible support through a range of programs and initiatives will ensure that you personally succeed and flourish while at the University of Melbourne.
For further information, including our 2023-2027 Indigenous strategy please visit -https://about.unimelb.edu.au/reconciliation/murmuk-djerring
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with the following documents:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and experience
- The responses against the Selection Criteria^ (found in the Position Description)
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please feel free to contact Katherine Robertson via email at Faculties-TA@unimelb.edu.au, ensuring that you include the Position Number and the Job Title as the subject. Please do not share your application to this email address.
If you have any particular questions regarding the job please follow the details listed on the Position Description.